Thursday, August 13, 2009

Fredericksburg, Virginia

We spent a great ten days in Virginia and now, after 3 cars, 2 planes, 3 airports, countless bathrooms, and 18 hours, we are finally home. The older I get the more I appreciate the history surrounding the town I grew up in. Fredericksburg is replete with Civil War-era buildings and battlefields. We, of course, had to drag the kids downtown to walk around.


Even though it was hot and humid.


A slave auction block still stands on the corner of Charles Street and William Street.




And since it is a tourist town souvenirs usually have a Civil War theme.


I noticed that Carl's is now on the historic register. It really should be a national landmark - the best ice cream in the world.


Here Quinn has found some purses. On one of our trips into a craft/bazaar store she found a room full of purses and spend a good 15 minutes trying every one of them on.


One day we had lunch at Five Guys - our first time there. Delicious.


I also went to my 20-year high school reunion. It was interesting to see how people have changed. Some were friendlier, some had come out of their shells (although the open bar could have factored in), some had changed very little, and some were more of what they used to be. I found that the people I really liked and respected in high school I still like and respect and those that I was unimpressed by 20 years ago, I am still unimpressed by. I don't know if that says something about me or about them. There were a handful of people I was really glad to see and visit with and they made it worth going. And Chris was a good sport to come with me and spend 4 hours watching me catch up with old friends - thanks, C!


Coming up next...our trip to Virginia Beach. (I know you can't wait.)

2 comments:

  1. What great pictures! It looks like you guys had a great time. And you didn't lose any of the kids while you were going all of those places:) That is always what I am most proud of when we travel! (I hope I am not jinxing myself by saying that!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, we did lose Quinn once at the Smithsonian Museum of American History. She was looking at a doll house and the rest of us moved on without noticing she was with us. It was 10 minutes before we noticed, but she wasn't crying when we found her walking around with the security guard. The perils of having many children.

    ReplyDelete